Subscribe!

Frangepanni Films

Friday, December 31, 2010

#reverb 10 - December 31st

Prompt: Core story. What central story is at the core of you, and how do you share it with the world? (Bonus: Consider your reflections from this month. Look through them to discover a thread you may not have noticed until today.)


'Our differences may make us beautiful, but our connections are what keep beauty in our lives.'


I wrote this for a previous #reverb10 prompt.  It's something I have been using a lot in my writing since then and I believe it's my core story.


Growing up as a TCK (Third Culture Kid) there's not a day that goes by when I'm not reminded of all the things that make me different from the people around me.  It would be really unusual, in fact, for me to meet someone who culturally came even close to being similar to me (apart from my brother and even we differ in many ways).


This theme of difference is something I explore a lot in my writing, but ultimately my goal is not to prove how different we all are from each other.  What's the point in doing that?  How would it enrich our lives to prove how different we are from each other?  Wouldn't it only pushes us further apart?


Therefore I think that while my stories try to explore the multitude of ways in which this life makes us all different individuals, I'm also searching for the ways in which those differences can serve to bring us closer together.


I'm sure my interest in Buddhism and practice of it has enabled me to see how for as many differences I have from others, I am just another person searching for love and to end my suffering.  I hope my writing can prove this in return.  That's what I'm striving for anyway.  It may take  me a while, but as I grow and discover things hopefully my writing will in turn and I can continue to help bring people together rather than add to that dissonant media voice that's consistently trying to pull us all apart.


BONUS - The theme running through most of my posts seems mostly to be hope - hope for all that is to be and all that I allow to be!  Bring on 2011! :D


And there ends #reverb10 for December 2010.  It's been fun!  Thanks to all the prompt writers and this amazing community that enabled me to see all the greatness that has been this last year and keeps me believing in a better future full of love and less suffering in the years to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment