Subscribe!

Frangepanni Films

Sunday, December 12, 2010

#reverb10 - December 12th

Prompt: Body integration. This year, when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn't mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present?


I've practiced yoga with lackluster on and off for several years now, but suddenly this summer my appetite for the practice exploded (mostly due to the following: yoga today, yogamazing, Maya Fiennes and the amazing Shiva Rea) and now I practice almost everyday.  My love and need for yoga has grown so exponentially that I'm even seriously considering working towards  teacher training in Kundalini Yoga (which blows my mind).  I've never felt so integrated with my body as I have started feeling this year.  I have more control over what I put into my body (less compulsive eating, more healthy choices) not because I'm restricting myself, but because suddenly I have clarity that what I've been doing to myself is insane.  What i've done to my body with a lack of exercise and unhealthy eating habits, I would not do to my worst enemy.
I really don't know what prompted this mental shift - I can only guess it's part of the process I'm going through in my mindfulness practice.  In this way I'm experiencing more moments in which my mind and body are fully present and connected.  There's less attachment to the past and future, and therefore less attachment to destructive behaviors that have led me down the wrong path in the past.  I can finally sit back inside myself and feel my way through the present moment to make better decisions.  But don't get me wrong - sometimes that decision is to say yes to the chocolate bar!  It's just that now I am more fully aware of making that choice and can adapt the moments that follow to balance everything out.

2 comments:

  1. This just solidified the thoughts I've been having that perhaps a foray into the practice of yoga is just what I need these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I hope it works out well for you! It's such an amazing workout while being so good for the soul!

    ReplyDelete