Subscribe!

Frangepanni Films

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

#reverb 10 - December 29th

Prompt: Defining moment. Describe a defining moment or series of events that has affected your life this year.



Savannah, GA.  I went to Savannah for the first time in 2003 to study an MFA in Film and Television at SCAD.  I lived there until 2006 when I moved to NYC and shot my thesis film to graduate.  At the time I was so glad to leave Savannah as it seemed too small and sedate for me.  Since then Savannah has changed and grown, and I almost don't recognize the place.
I've also grown and changed.  I've come to realize that I don't mix well with big cities.  I love NYC but found it tough going and would only go back if I had a better paying job.  I needed to go there and challenge myself however, and I'm proud to say that I shot a film there too!
After leaving NYC I had no idea where to go next and didn't even consider going back to Savannah, but rather moved to the Middle East to figure out my next steps.
Last summer I got the opportunity to travel back to Savannah and visit my brother and his family.  Fortunately, friends of mine were also shooting a feature film there during the summer.  I was lucky enough to be in Savannah at the right time and was able to be a Production Assistant on The Space Jockey Pursuit - a great film by very talents filmmakers.
My entire time in Savannah this summer was the defining moment of 2010.  It helped me to realize that I actually really enjoy living in a smaller city, as long as I have friends and family that live close by.  In Savannah I have both of these.  There is a consistent and dominant film industry in Georgia that could give me the opportunity to do more film work if I so wished.  There is also the opportunity to apply for jobs at my old college, SCAD, if I so wish.  
Savannah has so many great memories for me, as long as I choose to remember the positive rather than focus on the negative.  There are so many more opportunities and things to do there that did not exist when I first arrived there in 2003.  It's also a great place to get started in the work that I really want to do - writing.
I had no idea where I would go next, but it's funny how life pushes you in all the right directions if you just know how to listen and recognize those chances.
No matter what I'll be in Savannah in 2011, where the great new adventure will begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment