Subscribe!

Frangepanni Films

Monday, December 27, 2010

#reverb10 - December 27th

Prompt: Ordinary joy. Our most profound joy is often experienced during ordinary moments. What was one of your most joyful ordinary moments this year?

I'm lucky to be able to say that I've had many joyful ordinary moments this year simply because I've been able to live more in the moment than I have been in the recent past. Most of these moments have been used watching birds in our garden, sitting back and enjoying the fun my students are having in class this term, listening to the sound of a clock ticking in our house, to name but a few.
The moments that are most joyful for me and stick with me the longest are those I spent this summer reading with my niece.  She has a ravenous appetite for books.  Mostly we flicked through the pages pointing out pictures and asking each other what the pictures were.  But watching her soak in the information on those pages and reproduce the sounds and words she was learning was a daily miracle.  
There's absolutely no reason for her not to learn all these new words and sounds, and to watch the growth of another human being, especially a child, is truly magical.  I'm so thankful that I got the chance to spend that time with her.  I'm also thankful that I understand the blessings of those moments and that I took the time to sit with her and read.  It would have been so easy to turn on the TV or use the computer while we sat together.  I can do that any day.  And even though I think I said 'owl' and 'twit twoo' about five hundred times this summer, it's not everyday I get the chance to teach this to a three-year-old.

Jordi and I read Blueberry Girl by Neil Gaiman this summer.  It's a gorgeous book for kids who like animals and a great story for all children.

1 comment: